Tuesday, August 5, 2008

a new beginning for ending street harassment

Nobody should have to get used to walking down the street and having rude comments thrown at them based on what they're wearing, how they look, or for simply being part of an objectified group in society.


I got tired of feeling like I had to cover up at night, wear more conservative clothes when going out alone, being afraid of subway pervs, and basically changing the way I act to try to deflect these losers. I wanted to do something about it. So I came online and found that a site to get back at these creeps already exists: Hollaback NYC.


I decided there should be a Toronto version as well, so with the help of my boyfriend I created HollabackTO! I figure if I get harassed at least half the time when I go out, there must be a million others out there who are suffering in silence. Now we can start fighting back and hopefully raise more awareness against street harassers.


Everybody deserves to feel safe in public spaces and it's about time we put an end to street pervs infringing on our basic rights.


No comments: