Friday, September 18, 2009

Pickup Artist Wannabes

Submitted by: Karen

I have a few night classes at school, so I usually don't get home until sometime past 10pm. The quickest way home is always through my neighbourhood park, and although I could take the long way round, in my experiences, the longest way is not always the "safest" way. So every once in a while, there are some people who "smoke up" or just generally hang out at the park. Usually they're harmless and a couple times I can hear the boys whispering to each other and laughing while they're smoking their marijuana ("Look how fast she's walking...did you see that?")

I think it's a little unfair that because it's so dark, I can't actually see their faces (especially due to lack of adequate lighting aside from the stars and moon)

Guy 1: Hey...what do you think of that girl? Think she's hot?
Guy 2: I don't know, why don't you ask her.
Guy 1: (calls out) Hey!!! Do you think you're hot?!
Me: (no response...keep walking)
Guy 1: Yeah, she thinks she's hot.

Granted, this is not the worst of my general interactions with street harrassment, but if these boys are looking to pick up a girl in the dead of night, then maybe they need to work a bit on their approach. Clearly I'm not impressed.

No comments: