Thursday, September 23, 2010

when street harassment happens right at home

Submitted by: EJM
Location: Broadview/Danforth

This morning I was riding my bike to my office and passed a bunch of parked cars. Man in his mid-late 30s leaning against the side of his car make kissy sounds as I passed him. It took me by surprise and I wasn't even sure what had happened until I was a few car lengths away. I wish I'd had the presence of mind to tell him off.

***

This past Christmas I shopped online quite a bit, mostly to avoid the cold. I accepted a delivery one morning from a UPS man - mid-20s, olive complexion, slight accent. He asked my name and I answered since I assumed it had to do with ensuring he had the correct recipient. Instead, as I finished signing and thanking him for the delivery, he gave me a skeevy smile and said "You're very beautiful *name*" then headed for the elevator.

I double locked the door for the rest of the day.

This man knows my name and where I live. He harassed me in my own home. I felt unsafe reporting it to the company since he has my address (or at least might remember approximately where I am and find me).

I finally reported this the other day. They say they contact ALL commenters within 24hrs of writing; it's been three days. I don't use UPS anymore.

No comments: